La misión de San Luis Gonzaga de Chiriyaquí fue establecida como tal por el misionero jesuita Padre Lambert Hostell en 1740, anteriormente en 1721 el misionero jesuita Padre Clemente Guillén estableció una visita misional (una pequeña capilla sin sacerdote asignado). El misionero Juan Jacobo Baegert organizó la construcción de la iglesia en material sólido  y duradero. Está establecida en las cercanías de la Sierra de la Giganta, a 28 km al oeste de la Misión de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de Chilla, Municipio de Comondú, BCS, México, en el sitio que los indígenas llamaban Chiri yaqui, topónimo guaicurú de significado desconocido. A san Luis le llamaban el patrono de la juventud. 


********


The site of the mission was located by Father Clemente Guillén in 1721 and was established first as a visita in 1737, and later as a mission, in 1740, by Father Lambert Hostell. Father Johann Jacob Baegert replaced Hostell in 1750 and ir was he who built the church.
The mission is located in the Valley of Santo Domingo in the place called San Luis Gonzaga aproximately 45 kilometers to the southeast of Ciudad Constitución; access is somewhat difficult via graded roads, sometimes in bad repair.
The area around the church is made up of some others buildings, onde in complete decay, and the others of great value as historical architectural monuments, but they are from the nineteenth century and do not correspond to the period of the mission.